Hi there! I’m Heidi, a lifestyle family photographer based in Hampton Roads, VA who loves a sappy story and happy ending. I’m married to Jon, an engineer who makes my English major brain spin. Our family is blended, and all together we have four kiddos. One is married with her own baby, (Yes, that makes me a super young step-grandma! Ha!) two are in middle school, and one is a sassy preschooler. We are just a little busy most of the time, and we are finally figuring out this blended family thing. It isn’t always easy, but it has been worth the messy moments every single time.
My mantra is love changes everything– you’ll see it around here often because it really does, doesn’t it? Knowing that I get to wake up every day and live this life of a storyteller, a memory catcher, a love witness-er? (PS I also like to make up words!) It’s overwhelming and humbling, and I catch myself teary-eyed more often than I probably should admit!
If you’re dying to hear more, here are five things you might not know about me.
- Jon and I met online. Yes, it does work sometimes! But then we met before we actually met in person at a Panera. It was definitely fate stepping in because I really wanted a good how-we-met story to tell! Read about it!
- I was on Dateline NBC after I had my second kiddo, Gage, just before Hurricane Isabel hit in 2003. Watch the clip! (And please forgive how awkward I am on camera!)
- I love to swim, bike, and run and have done several triathlons, including three half-ironman races. It keeps me sane! You can read about one here if you’re curious what it’s all about!
- I love the ocean and the sand, but my heart will always belong to the mountains where I grew up.
- Sometimes being a mom is crazy overwhelming and I wonder how on earth I came to be an adult already. Because sometimes I’m still 16 in my head, you know?
Let’s connect! I love getting to know new friends, so use the contact button above or email me directly at heidi (at) heidicalma.com. <3